Monday 2 February 2009

More Weekend Cooking


So I mentioned in my previous post that I attempted to make marrons glacees from this recipe. I have to say that it didn't really...work. Looking back on it, I think it's because I was impatient and cooked for too long too often. Well, I ended up with quite a bit of leftover sugar (about 3 generous tablespoons) So I decided to try to do something with it. I poured some water in the pan (about 1/4 cup/60 g) and put it over a burner on medium high.

I let it bubble a bit, and then threw in a bunch of leftover walnuts that I had (about 1/3 cup / 80 g)
I then kept stirring and stirring til the water was absorbed and I smelled a nice toasty/cooked aroma from the walnuts.
I then spread them out on some wax paper to dry. HEAVENLY! I have been looking for a good candied walnut recipe and I just stumbled onto this one in frustration! Not to mention the sugar has a distinct chestnut overtone. How delicious does that sound? Candied walnuts with a slight chestnut flavor hue?

YUM.

Can't wait to put them on some spinach leaves with slices of apple, onion, and blue cheese along with a peppery mustard vinaigrette.

By the way, I know this is totally random, but I discovered a great new salad dressing ingredient: Buttermilk!!! It's low calorie, thick, creamy, and tangy. I mixed some with some soy sauce, pepper, and garlic, and it was divine.

Here are my walnuts:

No comments: